Wednesday 6 May 2009

Wigan Council puts lives at risk

I have raised the issue of a dangerous sign in Wigan Town Centre. The sign is on Market Street. The sign is right at the side of the road and people walking from the market exit to the bus station are at risk. The reason for this is because when they walk from the tunnel exit of the outside market walking to the bus station the natural walk would hide them from drivers that are driving down Market street. The road is normally shut but opens at 4pm and people are not expecting cars to come down.

I have asked the Council to move this sign but they will not as they get money for this sign. Making Wigan Council more interested in money rather than peoples safety.

Cllr Gareth Fairhurst said,
" When these signs came before the Planning Committee I objected to them as I
thought this sign was a hazard. I have seen two near misses now at this
sign and unless the Council act and put people's lives first rather than bring
money in for a toilet in Leigh then I fear the worse."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.