Friday 27 November 2009

Home Secretary rejects Gary McKinnon's last ditch appeal against U.S. extradition.


The Home Secretary, Alan Johnson has rejected an appeal by Gary McKinnon Lawyers to stop his extradition. Alan Johnson had said that he would review new medical evidence. He has said he has done that and he will not stop the extradition. He then gave Gary McKinnon only save days to apply for a Judicial Review when the normal time scales is 3 months for this. Why has this basic right been shortened. The whole case is a disgrace.

Whilst I believe people that break who break the law should go on trial why should we not try this person in the UK has the crime was done in his London Flat?

What I find more disturbing about all of this is the treaty the Labour signed. Three main points are:-

1, it removes the requirement on the US to provide prima facie evidence when requesting the extradition of people from the UK but maintains the requirement on the UK to satisfy the "probable cause" requirement in the US when seeking the extradition of US nationals;

2, it removes or restricts key protections currently open to suspects and defendants;

3, it implements the EU-US Treaty on extradition, signed in Washington on 25 June 2003, but far exceeds the provisions in this agreement.

This treaty should be equal both ways or ripped up!

1 comment:

  1. I think a good test as to whether I should feel strongly about something is to reverse the roles and see if I still feel as strong. If someone is in a foreign country but manages to steal a lot from this county then would I want them brought to trial here? Now if all the evidence is here I would have a strong opinion that I would want "justice" here. This is how the Americans feel and this is how the DPP feels. Law is complex and I don't pretend to understand it but I do know that it would be hard for me to call anything disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.