Tuesday 29 July 2014

Standish under threat again from lack of Fire Engines

I heard that yesterday there was a fire in Standish on High street at a shop. Wigan Fire Station has two pumps. One Engine was out on another job yesterday when the call came in for the Fire in Standish so they Brigade sent the back up pump from Wigan and the second one came from Hindley. Nothing too much wrong with this however, I have had it on good authority that the brigade is looking to cut further and one of those cuts could be in the way of the second pump at Wigan. If this did happen then when the call came in for Standish yesterday there would have been no pump in Wigan station and then they would have had to send the pump from Hindley and the second would have had to come from how know where.

Whilst I have not heard of any injuries thankfully I am concerned that if the second engine is cut in Wigan then lives will be put more at risk.

I will be contacting the Brigade about this and voicing my concerns and asking for their reassurances that they will not be cutting the second engine.

7 comments:

  1. Two Wigan Fire Fighters were injured at this incident, fortunately they returned to work on "modified duties" for the remainder of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the firefighters are now fully recovered and I know the owner of the shop is incredibly grateful to them.

    Gareth, I'm just wondering whether you or George or Debbie have contacted him to see if there's anything you can do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I don't believe any of us have contacted us. I have spoken with the Fire service and I understand the firefighters are back at work, which is good news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gareth, your reply doesn't make sense and would it not have been a nice gesture for at least one of you to have popped in and offered your support?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry should have said none of us have contacted him, nor has he contacted us. What is he looking for from us in way of support?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gareth, I just think it would have been a lovely gesture, given that you hold your surgeries a matter of seconds walk away, if just one of you had popped in to express your sympathy and see if you could have done anything to help or is that not something our local councillors consider appropriate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sympathy? Apart from the firemen I don't believe anyone was hurt. I have spoken with the Fire Chief about the two crew about how they are doing and they are fine now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.