Sunday 8 April 2018

Bring Morrisons back to the Galleries

And they are off, no not the Grand National horses but the candidates in this years' Local Election. I have been asked and asked to stand again for Wigan Central Ward. I have been a Cllr there before for 6 Yrs and know many of the residents and issues and since I lost my seat back in 2010 no other candidate has beaten Labour.and residents are sick of not seeing the Labour Cllrs. I was talking to one resident on a recent canvasing session who said back in the day they didn't vote for me but he said, " although I didn't vote for you least I knew were around. Now a days I don't have a clue who the Cllrs are which says to me they are doing nothing." Interesting!

So one big issue that has been recently reported in the Wigan Observer and online is the fact that Wigan Council has now bought the Galleries as Wigan has become a ghost town with just low value shops like pawn and loan shops. As well as an abundant number of empty shops. The market has been left to go to ruin as the Council forced high rates which drove the traders away.

So here is my first idea, well one brought to me, the first thing Wigan Council should do is bring back Morrisons in the Town Centre. The amount of people that shopped there from the older generations especially is huge. To be fair I don't have shares in Morrisons or shop there but they could approach other supermarkets as well if they so wished and that would be a start to turning things around in the Town Centre. Because they own the galleries outright now they could offer attractive rent and rates to get them back into the Town Centre.


Vote Gareth Fairhurst
Wigan Independents
May 3rd 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.